Course Description: Students learn and apply fundamentals of various software applications (such
as Illustrator and Photoshop), web design, image editing, drawing and graphic animation.
Advertising and marketing projects coordinate technical skills with organization, management,
communication, ethics and teamwork.
Instructional Philosophy: Students will be given challenging real world projects and assignments
typical of the graphic design industry. High quality work is expected and students will be given
opportunities to redo work until it meets standards specified during instruction. Classroom activities will
include reading, research, projects, and problem solving. Students will often work in teams, but will be
expected to complete individual assignments in relation to the team’s work. Assessment methods will
include written exams, tests, and quizzes; oral and written research reports; reading assignments; and
1. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the elements of graphic design.
2. Read, understand and communicate in the language of graphic design.
3. Use technology such as Phototshop, Illustrator, and Internet Explorer.
4. Students will learn to demonstrate positive work behavior.
5. Students will learn to solve problems using critical thinking.